The Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP) was constructed between 1941-1942 to manufacture munitions for American and Allied forces during World War II, and remained in production until 1945. At its peak, the plant employed 26,000 people – more than half of whom were women.
The plant was mothballed after the U.S. declared victory over Japan, but was intermittently reactivated to produce arms and ammunition during the Korean and Vietnam wars. It became inactive in 1976.
In 2013 Ramsey County purchased a 427-acre parcel of the site from the U.S. Government with the intent to clean up, redevelop, and return the property to the economic engine it once was – this time with homes, businesses and retail. The site was renamed to Rice Creek Commons in 2014.
To learn more about the history of the Rice Creek Commons site, read this Minnesota Public Radio article.